Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lavender Experiment - Part 2

Last week, I attempted to distill lavender oil from freshly cut lavender (see post from June 6). So, I simmered my lavender in a stockpot for a long time. I checked the water that I collected in my glass mason jar and looked for the coveted essential oil. I held it up to the light. I peered at it from many different angles. I thought that I wouldn't get a lot of oil, but from what I could tell, there was none. Alas. I suppose this process is akin to trying to make maple syrup at home - larger quantities and bigger equipment needed. Hmm... Eric wouldn't mind parking his BMW out on the street so I can set up a proper distillation apparatus in the garage, would he?

All is not lost from my little experiment. The water I collected (aka - hydrosol) has a very strong lavender scent, and can be used for many things. I will try to find some small glass spritzer bottles for using the hydrosol as a room/laundry/calming spray. I have learned a thing or two and may even have another go at it, which is more than I can truly say about many lab experiments I did during all my years as a science student and teacher.


Lavender Hydrosol


No comments:

Post a Comment